Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Baby Girl



Unbelievably, my 'baby' girl has started Playschool. Children who turn 3 before the 31st of December can go to Hay River Play School. Last year, I was babysitting a little girl who went to Playschool-every Tuesday and Thursday morning the little white bus would come and pick her up at our house, then drop her off just before lunch. Peekaboo would practically quiver with excitement just seeing it-Well, next Tuesday she gets to ride it!!


This Tuesday was the orientation. Ezra and I accompanied her to Play School, she met her classmates, they played and sang. Today, we took her at 9am (getting out of the house and to Playschool by 9am? Tough!! Thank goodness for the bus that starts next week!) I went in with her, took off my shoes and showed her that I wasn't leaving until she was ready. I ended up there for about 20 minutes. A couple of times she looked up in a panic and said, "Don't leave Mommy" Finally, I told her that Ezra and I were going to leave for a little while. She looked at me and said, "You will come back and get me, right Mommy?" Needless to say, within the safety of my van a tear or two escaped.


When I went back to pick her up (5 minutes early) she was all smiles and artwork!! She had a tour of, and a short ride on, the bus to prepare for next week. She, obviously, had a great time and didn't miss me at all!! I am glad, really I am.


How quickly the tiny, needy, helpless, bald little people become 'big kids'. I cherish the memories of her as a newborn, the first time she sat up by herself, her first steps and first words. And now, her first day at Play School-without Mommy or Daddy by her side. Our job, as parents, is to prepare our children to be out in the world. Teach them independence and confidence...but does it have to happen so soon? She is ready, I guess I better be too!

No comments: